Tuesday, May 20, 2014

W Week

We loved talking about the weather all week while we were learning about the letter W.  Brooklyn really enjoyed singing The Weather song every day as we talked about what kind of weather we were having that day.  Since the weather was beautiful most days this week, we enjoyed doing our circle time songs while swinging in the backyard almost every morning.  We also observed some worms while playing in the backyard, although my cautious little girly girl wasn’t too interested in getting too close!  

Brooklyn glued together her whale W picture - complete with water shooting out of his blowhole on Monday.  She also practiced writing W’s and did her dot W picture.  Lately, M’s and W’s have been her favorite letters to write!

On Tuesday, Brooklyn made her watermelon craft.  I cut a half circle out of white paper and drew a 1 inch border around the rounded edge of it.  I first gave Brooklyn green paint and a paintbrush and told her to only paint the outer edge to make the rind of the watermelon.  Next, I have her red paint and a sponge and let her sponge paint the inside of the watermelon.  Once it was dry, I gave her a black marker and let her add seeds to complete her watermelon.  


We had fun picking strawberries on Wednesday!

Brooklyn really enjoyed Thursday’s window craft.  I let her pick two different colored papers to use for her house - she chose pink and yellow.  I used the pink one for the house and started by cutting the top of the paper to make a roof.  Next, I cut four windows in the house.  I let Brooklyn glue her house of windows to the piece of yellow paper - making sure not to glue the windows.  I asked her what/who she wanted to draw in each window, and she chose to draw mommy, daddy, Madelyn, and herself in each of the windows.  Finally, she added some stickers to decorate her house.  Later, we went through our house and counted all of the windows.  



On Friday, I told Brooklyn the story of the woman at the well.  We talked about how the woman was very thirsty just like we get thirsty sometimes, but what she really needed Jesus.  We talked about how we need Jesus just like we need water to drink and food to eat.  Brooklyn then colored the picture of the woman at the well.

For details and instructions of these crafts and activities, please click to see my lesson plans.  If you have more ideas for the letter W, please comment and share - I would love to hear them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment