Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Y Week

We spent a lot of Y week talking about all the things in the world that are yellow.  Brooklyn really enjoyed the Something Yellow song, and we sang it a lot this week - while going on walks around the neighborhood, while playing in our backyard, and while walking around the house.  Our verse was Matthew 5:14 “You are the light of the world.”  We talked about how God is the light of the world just like the yellow sun lights up our world here on earth.  

On Monday, Brooklyn glued together her Y Yak then added on his eyes with a marker.  She also did her Y dot picture, practiced writing Y’s, and had fun learning our new verse, song, and poem.  

Tuesday was a lot of fun.  We started by saying the Yarn Poem and talking about things that we have that are made of yarn - we found a hat, scarf, blanket, baby booties, and mittens.  Then we used some yarn to make our craft.  I found some wooden triangle blocks, that are part of a game we have, to use for our yarn stamping.  I didn’t want to get paint on them, so I covered them in saran wrap that I secured with tape.  I then gave Brooklyn some yarn and had her wrap it around the blocks to make different patterns.  Once she was finished, I taped the yarn on the back so that it would stay put.  Brooklyn chose to use pink and purple paint for her yarn stamps.  She dipped her first stamp in purple paint and stamped it all over her paper to make a really cool design.  She then did the same thing with the other stamp in the pink paint.  I really liked how this craft turned out!  Next, we headed outside for some yo-yo fun.  I filled up a water balloon and attached a rubber band (which I had cut to make a string rather than a circle). Brooklyn had tons of fun boinging her yo-yo up and down!  It was a warm morning outside so when the water balloons popped, it made things extra fun!  

Brooklyn's yarn block patterns 


 

Wednesday we had a taste testing of some different foods for snack time.  I printed out a yummy vs. yucky chart that we used to keep track of the foods that Brooklyn liked and the ones she did not.  The foods that she had were a prune, a blackberry, dark chocolate, celery, peas, a jellybean, cinnamon pecans, a green bean chip, and sunflower seeds.  After she tasted each food, she would decided if she thought it was yummy or yucky, then she would use her do-a-dot marker to make a dot under the correct column.  In the end, she thought everything was yummy except for the celery and blackberry.  I then had her count up the dots in each column and tell me which column had more and which one had less.  I wrote the total numbers in the bottom row of her chart.  


Thursday was all about yellow.  We, of course, started our school day by singing Something Yellow and hopping around to the yellow things we found.  I then gave Brooklyn a magazine, some scissors, a glue stick, and a piece of paper.  I told her to find things in the magazine that were yellow, cut them out, then glue them to her paper.  I had some yellow pineapple to cut up for snack, so I had Brooklyn work by herself on this activity in the kitchen.  When I went to check on her, I saw that she had done an excellent job without any help at all!!  I was very impressed!  

On Friday, I told Brooklyn the Bible story of the rich, young ruler from Mark 10:17-31.  We talked about loving God with all of our heart.  I cut out a big heart and a small heart and asked Brooklyn to tell me some things that she loves.  I wrote each thing on the small heart.  I told her that all of those things are wonderful things that God has blessed us with - it is ok to love them!  Then I wrote “God” on the big heart and told her how we should love God more than we love all of the things written on the smaller heart. Brooklyn finished up her craft by gluing the two hearts on a piece of paper.  

For details and instructions of these crafts and activities, please click to see my lesson plans.  If you have more ideas for the letter Y, please comment and share - I would love to hear them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment