Monday, March 10, 2014

P Week

What a beautiful week we had for P week!  After all of the snow in the past few weeks, it was so nice to have a week of temperatures in the 60’s and 70’s.  We spent a lot of time outside this week and enjoyed my favorite time of year - the surprise warm days in winter where there are no bugs!  We added a few outside activities to our agenda for P week including a few walks to the park and a little lesson in pine trees and pine cones.  We now have quite the collection of pine cones that we will hopefully use for a craft  soon.  

On Monday I introduced the letter P, taught Brooklyn our song, poem, and verse, and she glued together her P pig.  Brooklyn had peas with her lunch, and then we enjoyed a walk to the park.  


Tuesday we worked on patterns and made a peacock.   I cut out a peacock body and six feathers.  Brooklyn decided she wanted pink and purple feathers - perfect for the letter P!  We then used the feathers to make patterns.  I would put down the feathers in this order: pink, purple, pink, purple, pink….and let Brooklyn tell me what should come next.  We then did the same thing starting with the color purple.  After some pattern practice, Brooklyn glued her peacock together.  I let her decide which pattern she wanted to use to glue down her feathers and she chose to start with pink.   Later in the day, we went for a walk and collected pine cones.  

We had a fun Wednesday learning all about penguins.  We started our day by singing “Have You Ever Seen A Penguin” and doing the motions that we made up earlier in the week.  We then watched a short video on penguins.  Next, I gave Brooklyn a worksheet with a picture of a penguin.  We talked about the different parts of a penguin and a little more about how they come from eggs (which was taught in the video).  I let Brooklyn color the picture, then I called out the different parts of the penguin and let Brooklyn identify each part and glue on the word to label the picture.  We finished our school time by making a penguin craft.  I painted Brooklyn’s foot white and black, stamped it onto a piece of paper, and added on some flippers, eyes, and a bill.  She didn’t want the penguin to be lonely, so we ended up making two.  

Thursday was such a gorgeous day outside!  We decided to spend most of the day playing outside and walking to the park.  We did spend a little time putting puzzles together but decided to wait until Friday to make our puzzle craft.  

Friday we read the story of Jesus walking on the water.  We talked about Peter walking on the water and then sinking because he stopped trusting Jesus.  For our craft, I printed out a picture of Peter in a boat and Jesus walking on the water.  Brooklyn colored these pictures, and I cut them out.  I let Brooklyn practice cutting by drawing a large wavy line on a piece of blue paper for her to cut - this would make our waves in the water.  She then glued her water to a piece of black paper along with Jesus walking on the water and the boat with Peter.  After our Bible lesson and craft, we worked on the puzzle that was planned for Thursday.  Brooklyn decided she wanted to make a Minnie Mouse puzzle so we selected a picture from one of her coloring books.  First she colored the picture, then I cut it down to the right size.  I took eight large popsicle sticks, placed them side by side, and taped them together.  I placed my popsicle stick square over the picture as my guide to cut the picture down to the correct size.  I then flipped the popsicle sticks over and let Brooklyn paint on mod podge to the non-taped side.  Once the popsicle sticks were completely covered, she placed the picture on top and smoothed it out.  She then painted more mod podge over the top to seal it up.  We let it dry overnight.  The next day, I removed the tape and used a box cutter to cut the popsicle sticks apart.  Now she has a very fun puzzle that she made all by herself!  




I hope everyone is taking advantage of this beautiful weather!!  

For details and instructions of these crafts and activities, please click to see my lesson plans.  If you have more ideas for the letter P, please comment and share - I would love to hear them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment