Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Q Week

Q is one of those letters that isn’t used very often.  So this week, I had to get creative in order to come up with enough activities that somewhat related to Q words.  Both our song and poem for the week were about quilts, and we talked a lot about what a quilt is and how to make one.  We made up motions for the quilt poem which we did while pretending to sew one together each day.  Our verse was the longest verse we’ve had so far.  I didn’t really expect Brooklyn to memorize it this week, but she surprised me and learned it very quickly!  Sometimes when I asked her to say her verse, she recited it just as I taught it to her “Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger (or slow to get mad).”  Other times, she just told me it’s meaning which I’m glad she understood!  Once again, we put it into practice throughout the week.  Several times when Brooklyn started to get mad about something (usually when Madelyn got one of her toys), I would remind her to be slow to anger.  This is easier said than done, but it did seem to help her a couple of times.  *This verse is also a good reminder for mommies!!  

We did our typical Monday activities including gluing together the Q Queen, doing the dot Q picture, learning the new poem, song, and verse, and talking about the sound the letter Q makes.  After gluing the queen’s crown on the letter Q, Brooklyn added some sparkles with glitter glue.  She also practiced writing Q’s on the chalkboard (and was very good at them!)


On Tuesday, we continued talking about queens.  Brooklyn decorated the bottom of a paper plate with markers, stamps, and stickers.  I then cut slits in the plate to make a crown that she could wear.  We also talked about quarters.  First, we played a quarter toss game.  I gave Brooklyn six quarters and made a line on the floor (with a folded baby blanket).  I then placed a tray (from her play kitchen) a couple of feet in front of her.  She tossed the quarters and tried to get them in the tray.  After a little practice, she was able to do this very well.  Next, we talked about how a quarter is worth 25 cents and how four quarters are the same as a dollar (a little over her head, but she listened anyway).  We used the six quarters to work on multiplying and dividing.  I told her to put the six quarters into groups of two and asked her how many groups she had - she was able to see that six quarters make three groups of two.  She also did groups of three and one the same way.  
 
Quarter Toss

We went to MOPS on Wednesday and did not do school time.

On Thursday we did lots of quilting.  We sang our song and said our poem a few times then made our own quilt.  I cut nine squares (3”x3”) out of different colored paper.  I gave Brooklyn stamps and markers and let her decorate each square.  I then let her arrange the squares into a big square in the pattern of her choice.  Next, we punched two holes on each side of the squares - just the sides that touched another square.  Just for fun, Brooklyn chose to use a star hole punch instead of a regular one.  I finished up the quilt by tying short pieces of yarn through the holes to attach the quilt together.  We also made another quilt by weaving strips of paper in and out of slits that I cut into another piece of paper. I used cardstock for this quilt so it would be a little sturdier than regular paper. With a little help, Brooklyn really enjoyed making this quilt.


Weaving her second quilt
Friday we read the story of how God provided quail and manna for His people from Exodus 16.  We talked about how God also gives us everything that we need.  For our craft, I drew a quail on a piece of brown paper and cut it out.  I then followed the instructions on this website to make the quail fly.  Brooklyn really enjoyed shooting the quail across the room and watching it fly.

  For details and instructions of these crafts and activities, please click to see my lesson plans. If you have more ideas for the letter Q, please comment and share - I would love to hear them!!


2 comments:

  1. So thoroughly impressed with all that you are doing with your sweet little Brooklyn. I'm still trying to wrap my head around ALL she's learning and has learned. I understand she's two now but how many months was she when you started? Going to share this really neat and well done blog. Keep up the excellent work, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I have had so much fun planning these activities and having school time with Brooklyn each day! I started in the Fall to follow a typical school year. She was 2 years and (almost) 5 months old when we started. I had done a little "circle time" and craft and/or activity a few days per week in the weeks leading up to our official start of school. This helped her get use to the structure. I have done a similar format of this school time with several other kids that I've nannied for in the past. I usually start at around 2 1/2-3 years old. Some kids may do better if you wait until they are a little older though.

    ReplyDelete